Top 15 FAQs: ZEN Project 8® Weight Management System FAQs
By Mark Macdonald, ZEN Brand Ambassador & New York Times Best Selling Author
We launched our ZEN Project 8® weight management movement a little more than one year ago in the U.S. In 2017, we’re taking the ZP8 system global. On March 11, Chile became the first Latin American country to launch ZP8, and last weekend, March 24-25, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji will launch ZP8! Fast forward to the end of April for the epic European ZP8 launch in Amsterdam.
With this rapid growth, we wanted to make it easy to find answers to your top 15 questions about ZEN Project 8 weight management system. Here’s what you need to know to help everyone rock ZP8 to their full capacity!
One quick, very important, note: As with all health programs and products, consult your physician before beginning. Remember, individual results vary.
Now, let’s get our FAQ groove on:
Question: What does eating “PFC Every 3” mean?
Answer: “PFC Every 3” is the science-based foundation of ZEN Project 8. It means eating a balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates (PFC) every three hours to help stabilize blood sugar levels, maximize fat-burning potential and protect and build muscle mass.
Question: How much weight will I lose in each Phase?
Answer: There are many factors that determine your results – past dieting history, hormonal challenges, metabolism and lifestyle to name a few. The reality is that individual results vary from person to person. But ZP8 delivers inspiring transformations with incredible results.
The DETOX Phase yields the fastest initial results, because it focuses on helping shed excess water bloat. The IGNITE Phase helps maximize your body’s fat-burning potential, and the THRIVE Phase helps evolve your program into a way of life.
Your body can’t consistently drop weight each week, so it’s important to focus on more than the number on the scale. Measure your body, pay attention to how your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror, as well as your energy levels and sugar cravings. Taking all of those into account will provide a greater vision of your progress.
Optimize your results by breaking through plateaus.
Question: Does Zen Project 8 work for people who want to maintain or gain weight? Does it work for athletes?
Answer: YES!! ZP8 is more than a weight loss program. ZP8 is an overall health program that will help achieve every type of goal.
The main goal of approximately 80-85% of the people who rock ZP8 is weight management, but because the program is centered on eating PFC Every 3 and using food to create internal balance, it also works for people who want to maintain or gain weight, as well as athletes.
To maintain or gain weight, make these adjustments:
- Eat PFC Every 3, but increase portion sizes whether you are male or female. Increase portion sizes of proteins, fats and carbs by 50%. If you are still hungry after a meal, increase portions again by 50%.
- Use an extra ½-1 scoop of ZEN Fuze® protein shake mix in your shake, and add more fruit and fats (like chia seeds).
- Focus on strength training and do less cardio. Thirty minutes of cardio four days per week is plenty. Use ZEN Shape® only if you want to burn fat.
- Since ZEN Fit™ is a fantastic muscle protector/enhancer, take three (3) tablets per day, 30 minutes before a workout or meal.
- Sip on ZEN Fuze® during athletic training and competition, to keep blood sugar levels balanced.
- Add a sixth or seventh meal, depending on your metabolism and activity. Your body needs refueling as it works, so you must eat consistently to achieve results.
Question: Can I use ZEN Fuze for breakfast? How many ZEN Fuze protein shakes can I have per day?
Answer: If you want to drink a ZEN Fuze protein shake for breakfast, simply move your meal to the mid-morning time slot. Do what’s easiest for you. Limit yourself to a maximum of three (3) ZEN Fuze protein shakes per day. ZEN Fuze is a balance of protein, fats and carbs, and is formulated to fill meal gaps.
Liquid meals are also friendly to your digestive system, but it’s important to balance liquid meals and whole food meals to maximize your weight management results. The three most common times for people in our ZP8 community to enjoy a ZEN Fuze protein shake are breakfast or mid-morning, mid-afternoon and late night before bed.
Question: Can I keep taking ZEN Prime® after the DETOX Phase?
Answer: YES! ZEN Prime® is a detox/cleansing product, but it is also packed full of plant-based digestive enzymes. These enzymes help metabolize your proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and work with the fiber and probiotics in ZEN Fuze. If you want to take ZEN Prime for more than seven days, focus on using it for 3-4 weeks, then stop taking it for 1-2 weeks before taking it again for 3-4 weeks. You cycle it, because the dandelion root and juniper berry in it contain herbal diuretic properties that help flush toxins during your DETOX Phase.
Question: How long can I take ZEN Shape®?
Answer: ZEN Shape® is powerful metabolism booster! ZEN Shape will help you reach your goal of burning fat; take it throughout your IGNITE Phase and the first four weeks of your THRIVE Phase. Take two (2) capsules 30 minutes before a meal. After 7-8 weeks, cycle off it for 1-2 weeks so your body doesn’t get used to it, then rock it for another 7-8 weeks. Keep taking ZEN Shape until you achieve your fat loss goals.
Question: Can I use ZEN Fit™ indefinitely?
Answer: Yes! ZEN Fit™ is an amino acid product that helps build muscle and supports healthy metabolism. Muscle is your friend! You can take up to three (3) ZEN Fit per day – drink each 30 minutes before a meal or workout.
Question: How precise should my portion sizes be? What if I’m hungry before three hours, or not hungry after three hours?
Answer: The last thing you should be is a calorie-counting machine! Focus on eating portions based on your hand size, and use your plate as a weight management reference. If you do have a little extra protein, fat or carbs in a meal, no big deal. Stressing over perfect portion sizes will hurt your results more than an inexact meal. Use the Guide for the Phase you are completing, and do the best you can.
If you’re not hungry and it’s time to eat, cut your meal or shake portion in half.
It takes your metabolism about a week to adjust to being fed every three hours if you’re used to eating only a few meals every day. The key is to feel satisfied after a meal, never “full.” So, eat every 3 hours, but eat half the amount. Once your appetite activates, eat your recommended portion sizes.
If you’re hungry before three hours, eat. Your body is a machine that needs to refuel as it goes. The leaner you get, the less stored fat you have, which means you need to eat more. If you feel you’re getting hungrier between meals, increase your portion sizes. Add more protein, fat and carbs, or an extra half-scoop of ZEN Fuze to your meal or protein shake.
Question: If I’m sensitive to milk or lactose, can I drink ZEN Fuze?
Answer: Lactose is the sugar in milk, and your body makes a digestive enzyme called lactase to help digest lactose. Those who are lactose sensitive experience gas and bloating after drinking milk or consuming foods with lactose. ZEN Fuze has a very low lactose level with a protein blend we chose because it’s effective in keeping you satisfied between meals. Many people with lactose sensitivity can drink ZEN Fuze protein shakes without challenges.
If you have lactose sensitivity, consider these three options:
- Try having a ZEN Fuze protein shake once per day for a few days to see how it affects you. If it doesn’t cause gas or bloating, you should be good to go!
- If ZEN Fuze protein shakes cause you minor digestive challenges, try a lactase digestive enzyme like Lactaid with your shake. The additional lactase should help you optimally digest the lactose.
- If your body has very little lactase, and consuming any kind of dairy causes major digestive challenges, such as cramping or diarrhea, do not use ZEN Fuze protein shake mix. Continue the full ZP8 program, but supplement ZEN Fuze recommendations with a nondairy protein shake mix.
Question: What if I become constipated?
Answer: Digestive system and bowel regularity is a huge part of maximum results. Eating clean, combined with the fiber and probiotics in ZEN Fuze, should help your regularity. Many people live with digestive challenges. If that’s you, take these additional steps to increase bowel regularity:
- Add 1 tsp. of psyllium husk powder to meals 2-3 times per day. Mix it into your shake to help keep your intestinal track moving.
- Take 3,000 mg of omega 3 fatty acid (fish oil, chia/flax seed) per day. Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid your body needs, to help absorb your essential nutrients during digestion.
- Drink the recommended amount of water, at minimum.
- Try a magnesium supplement, which has been shown to help with regularity. Ask a pharmacy associate about your recommended dosage.
- Drink a cup of digestive tea or caffeinated coffee every day. Drinking tea or coffee can help with regularity, especially if your body is used to it. Continue, if you find this helps with regularity.
Question: How important is exercise?
Answer: Eating “PFC Every 3” will trigger your body to consistently release stored fat, which gets burned in your muscle. This makes exercise important in maximizing results. Always remember to focus on “1% progress” – do 1% more every day than you did the previous day.
Get going with 15 minutes of fat-burning cardio three days per week. If you’re active and consistently working out, work out smarter, not harder, by optimizing three types of exercise: Fat-Burning Cardio, High-Intensity Cardio and Strength Training.
Read about the Three Types of Exercise and How to Optimize Your Workouts. Create an awesome workout based on your goals, time and lifestyle, and learn how to maximize every minute by choosing efficient movements.
Question: When should I start the THRIVE Phase?
Answer: You can start the THRIVE Phase in your fifth week of ZP8, but people often maximize their fat burning by living the IGNITE phase for an additional four weeks. The THRIVE Phase has more flexible food options, which helps evolve your ZP8 weight management program into a way of life. But progress often slows for people. Do what lets you live the program consistently and what works best for you and your goals. Enjoy your food, exercise and make ZEN a lifestyle.
Question: Can I drink alcohol?
Answer: In moderation. For best results, avoid alcohol in your DETOX and IGNITE Phases. You may begin drinking it again during your THRIVE phase.
Your body can’t use alcohol for energy (it’s either stored or wasted), so when drinking, it’s important to follow simple guidelines to minimize negative effects like bloating, storing fat and disturbing your metabolism.
- Always eat when you’re drinking alcohol. Choose your protein, fat, low-carb vegetable or a salad, then substitute alcohol as your main carb. This isn’t an even exchange, but it helps minimize the damage of drinking by removing calorie-dense carbs from the meal. A meal example:
- Protein: Chicken breast
- Fat: Balsamic vinaigrette (for salad)
- Low-Carb Veggie (free food): Spinach salad
- Carb substitute: A glass of wine, shot of hard liquor or a beer
- Drink the right portion. The challenge with drinking is that it’s easy to keep drinking! Make sure you limit yourself to 1-2 drinks. More than that will hinder your results. Use these portion sizes for alcohol:
- Wine (red and white) – 6 oz. glass
- Hard liquor (vodka, whisky, bourbon, tequila, etc.) – 1 oz. shot
- Beer (preferably light) – 12 oz. mug/bottle
- Drink water before, during and after you drink alcohol.
- Avoid drinking within three hours of going to bed. Drinking alcohol before bed causes challenges with your sleep cycles and lowers your quality of sleep
Question: Can I use the ZEN products if I have medical challenges or if I’m pregnant or nursing? Can kids use ZEN products?
Answer: Pregnant women and nursing mothers should always consult a physician about their nutritional needs.
ZEN Project 8 is based on the science of blood sugar balance, so it’s a healthy way of eating for many people. It’s also based on the body’s physiology, and can help most anyone improve their overall health and move closer to achieving their goals.
We designed ZEN Fuze protein shakes to live harmoniously with families and kids. If your kids are living the weight management program with you, have them live in the THRIVE Phase. Give them lots of food options to create a real, positive relationship with food.
Consult your physician before you take ZEN Prime, ZEN Shape and ZEN Fit. There is no need for children under age 18 to use ZEN Prime or ZEN Shape. If your teenagers are active in sports and are beginning to build muscle, they might use ZEN Fit. As a high-quality amino acid blend, it is great for muscles, but you should still consult their physician before use.
Question: How do vegetarians, vegans and plant-based eaters live ZEN Project 8?
Answer: The great thing about ZP8 is it works for all goal types and lifestyles!
Vegetarians: Focus on proteins like eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt or other plant-based options. Some vegetarians also eat fish, and that is an excellent protein addition. Avoid soy protein, as it causes increased estrogen levels. Vegetarians can work some dairy into their DETOX and IGNITE Phases, if needed.
ZEN Prime, ZEN Shape and ZEN Fit are also vegetarian.
Vegans and Plant-Based Eaters: ZEN Fuze contains TruCelle®, a unique, exclusive protein blend of whey and micellar casein. This protein comes from milk, and our blend delivers powerful results. Unfortunately for vegans and plant-based eaters, it is not plant based. Vegans and plant-based eaters can still do the entire ZP8 weight management program, and simply replace ZEN Fuze with a plant-based protein shake option.
As with vegetarians, vegans and plant-based eaters need to diversify with protein options that work for them. Plus, at the ZP8 Community, we have great plant-based recipes that are “PFC Every 3” approved.
There you have it – the top 15 ZP8 FAQs! If you live ZP8, make sure to share these FAQs with everyone!
Keep making health happen. Next level, here you come!
Introducing the Jeunesse Kids Champions
Mar 1, 2021
Win prizes with #RoadtoLEAD challenges
Jan 1, 2021
LEAD with Strength at LEAD Jeunesse 2021 — now a global virtual event
Dec 21, 2020
Building brighter tomorrows in the Bahamas
May 1, 2020
Helping Kids Beating Cancer in 2020 and beyond
Apr 29, 2020